Last week I posted on my new program, ‘Coaching through Transitions’, which I implement mainly on the evenings or weekends. It has been such a pleasure working with two young women who are already making progress after a couple of weeks. Last night, when I walked in, the Director of the organization said: “I don’t know what you are doing with these two ladies but everyone on the staff wants to be part of the training. Tell me what I need to do to get training for everyone!”
This made me feel so happy – to know that I am making a difference in the lives of other women and helping them to develop new skills, gain new knowledge and insights, and to have the confidence to say: “Now I know what to do when I am facing this type of situation!” At the class, they bubbly shared how they are already putting their new tools and knowledge into practice. The excitement in their voices is enough reward.
How do you get from one point to the next? How do you get a job promotion? How do you position yourself strategically for an opportunity? How do you maintain a positive attitude when things are falling apart? How do you build confidence? How do you develop a powerful network of people who can support you? How do you work with others to create a happy environment? How do you handle social media?
It is amazing what a few hours with some blank paper, an open mind and a guided discussion can do for your soul.
Some of us are lucky and have been blessed with almost perfect lives and great opportunities. However, the majority of people who I meet are struggling with one issue or another. Over the last two decades, my work with adults have proved several small but important things:
- Sometimes, we simply do not know what to do to take the next step.
- Sometimes, we don’t know what we don’t know.
- Sometimes, we don’t realize that our attitude about life is keeping us back.
- Sometimes, we don’t realize that we are simply in the wrong job.
- Sometimes, we don’t realize that we are holding on to some pain which has drowned our joy and happiness for life.
- Sometimes, we are afraid of our success.
- Sometimes, we are afraid to fail and would prefer to remain motionless.
- Sometimes, we don’t know how to ask for what we want.
- Sometimes, we don’t realize that we need to breakthrough some very small habits in order to create major breakthroughs.
- Sometime, we don’t know someone who can help us.
- Sometimes, we believe that there is nothing more or nothing better than where we are stuck.
What if I told you that all of the barriers above can be turned into opportunities?
- Sometimes, we have to work at developing skills, knowledge and even learn new attitudes to help us break through our transitions.
- Sometimes, we have to learn courage by taking small risks to step out of our comfort zone.
- Sometimes, we need to feel inspired by a vision which is more powerful than our fears.
- Sometimes, we need someone to work with us and help us to navigate through the processes which we are afraid to tackle on our own.
If you feel that you are struggling more than you should in living a fulfilled life ,or feeling less satisfied with your job or not getting through the goals which you set for yourself, you could be in need of someone to coach you. Sometimes, breaking through may require a change in perspective, some new tools to give help you get organized, some new content to help you have a greater understanding of the subject matter. That is what coaching is all about.
Today, life is moving faster than ever. This calls for major shifts in managing both our work and personal life as well as managing our thought patterns.
I am grateful for the amazing people in my life. I am grateful for the opportunities of living my passion and knowing THAT feeling of living purposefully and of sharing my gifts with others.
I am still work in progress… such a lot of learning to do and the world is such a beautiful training school.